Saturday, February 5, 2011

Issue #5 Albums I Love 2010

Unlike previous years when I’ve had top 10’s and even 20’s this year there’s only five. That’s not meant to imply that said five albums are just the best of a year that’s short on great music. They would all be on any top list I made regardless of when they were released. My top five albums of 2010 go as follows:
The Obvious – Bringing Wreck – This was without a doubt the most highly anticipated for me. I had first seen this band about a year prior and been entranced by the combination of their sound, energy, enthusiasm and talent ever since. Sadly I had nothing to own and listen to whenever I felt like it with the exception of having “K.O.? O.K.!” (which continues to be my favorite track) on the pop out player of my myspace profile. Take everything you love about 90’s grunge (especially the female fronted bands) and mix it with everything you love about whatever you’d classify a group like Yeah Yeah Yeahs as, and you have a pretty good idea where this band is coming from. It’s only a five song EP, so making it flawless is a little easier than it is with a full length. But considering I love everything else I’ve heard from this group’s live sets I don’t doubt that they’re capable of releasing just as perfect an entire album.
Black Wine – Black Wine – Continuing with the awesome resurgence of the 90’s alt/grunge sound most of us grew up on, but still making it their own and not coming off as some sort of retro gimmick is Black Wine with their self-titled release. Comprised of the former rhythm section of Hunchback and Jeff Schroeck formerly of The Ergs it’s no wonder this is incredible. While the members are all capable of all sorts of intricate musicianship their guitar/bass/drum acrobatics and feedback squeals never come at a cost of keeping the melody intact. My personal favorite track would have to be “Chateau Of Ghosts”.
Screaming Females – Castle Talk – Much like their previous release this album took longer to grow on me than their first two. The great songs are all there, but the downside of our fellow New Jerseyan’s meteoric rise to national prominence is that they’re always on the road and we’re not hearing the songs in the basements of New Brunswick or the local venues we love prior to their release. We had grown accustomed to seeing the songs played live for months before actually owning them to listen to at our convenience. Sadly now we have to wait for the album to drop like the rest of the country. And when the tour comes “home” it’s way the hell up in Hoboken. Songs like “I Don’t Mind It” and my personal favorite “Sheep” however make the wait feel worth it.
Gogol Bordello – Trans-Continental Hustle – Odds are you already know who this band is/what they’re about and already have your good, bad or indifferent feelings about them. Personally I love them. This was the most pleasant surprise of the year to me in that it was promoted very little prior to its release. I had literally gone to the store to purchase the next album on the list as part of my wife’s birthday present and right by it in the new releases section was this. Since becoming an ipod owner it’s rare that my car cd player sees much use anymore, but I had to open and put this in immediately on my drive home. This album is easily the equal if not the superior of their previous release. Also on the off chance you need to still be further sold on this it was produced by Rick Ruben.
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings – I Learned The Hard Way – Whether it was released this past year or had it come from soul’s inception in the 60’s/70’s this would still be one of the finest offerings the genre had to offer. Musically this is one of the tightest and most impressive ensembles you could ask for. Combine that with the relatable lyrical content and urgency of delivery from the voice of Sharon Jones, and it is an unstoppable force.

No comments:

Post a Comment