Thursday, September 1, 2011

Issue #8 Kid Nichols Interview


Bob-Sings/Guitars
Casey-Drums
Kyle-Bass/Sings
Greg-Guitar
LP: Lets start with the standard band interview questions - How did you guys meet, how long you been around, where are you from?
B: I will take the lead on this one
G: Bob will take everyone
B: I'll take the lead and let Greg finnish.  Well me and him (Greg) were in a band together that wasn't very good.  We stopped playing after a while and we asked Kyle, who we knew through a friends band, to play bass and got Casey, Greg's friend to play drums.  Now you guys fill in the gaps.
G: Me and Bob have been jamming in one way or another since we were fifteen, and Me and Kyle were in a cover band for shits and giggles for awhile.
LP: So you guys are all from the same town?
Everyone: Middletown.
LP: So do you guys know Knowshon Moreno?  Is that your boy?
B: He went to high school with my wife's sister.  They were in the same grade.  He's actually a really nice guy.
LP: So you've known each other for awhile and your all from Middletown, How long has Kid Nichols been around?
G: About a year, about a year this month.
K:Me and Greg were in a cover band for like 3 years playing bars and Casey used to come out an see us and we started talking about old punk albums and we started learning them and Greg contacted Bob
B: And was telling them that I missed being in a band and we should get together and make music
K: I did both (cover band & Kid Nichols) for a while and then just backed away from the cover band completely
B: Yeah, you were doing like a 1/3 of one and 3/4 of the other (Eds note- nice math)
K: The cover band just stopped being fun
LP: So I saw you guys opened for TSOL and Shot Baker at Santos Party House- How did that happen?  How sore are you knees from that one?
B: Greg's still cleaning out his mouth in that one.  Very, very, very soft hands.
LP: Not Andy Diamond soft though
B: No his are like babies hands
LP: And very white teeth
B: And a very well manicured moustash.  I must say Andy knows how to take care of himself.
G: I just had an email communication with the dudes from Rocks Off when they were booking the Souls booze cruise and just keep in touch through emails.  I asked him did he have any shows and he said how bout TSOL at Santos.  What was I gonna say "No we don't wanna play with TSOL".  It actually wasn't that hard getting on that show to be completely honest.
B: That was a strange day because I was the first to get there and I didn't know who worked there or who booked the show or anything, so I just walked in with me gear and said to someone "Hi, I'm from Kid Nichols" and the dude was like "Hi, I'm from TSOL" and I'm just like "You sure are, you sure are." It was weird cuz he didn't know who to talk to either.  Those guys were real cool though.
K: They weren't all holier then thou.  They hung out with us for awhile telling stories.  Their tame stories destroy our craziest ones. 
LP: Let's talk about where the name Kid Nichols came from?
B: Me and Greg, when he would be at work and I would be home on the computer, would trade off ridiculous statistics on baseballreference.com and would basically send each other links.  Check out Old Hoss Radbourn or 3 Finger Brown, and Kid Nichols was just one of the guys.  When it came to naming the band I thought it kinda sounded rad.  Me and Greg were dead set on the name but were hesitent to bring up to the other guys.
K:  At first I was thinking Nickels.  Like dimes and nickels.  I was like your not talking about the turn of the century baseball player are you?  It's a rad name.  Why wouldn't I want to be in a band named Kid Nichols.
B: And then Casey was like "sure, whatever"
LP: Drummers never seem to give a shit about anything band related.  Are you a typical drummer or do you actually care what happens?
B: He's the the producer of the band.  He's definatley not the not give a shit drummer.  He gives a lot of shit.
K: The second song we wrote was his song.
C: I stay up till 4 in the mourning cutting up and mixing practices, producing songs and sending out to these guys.
B: It's not just a clever name he IS actually our producer.  He's producing the record.
K: Every practice we have he spends time setting up stuff to record and cuts the stuff up and tells us what should be where. It's rad.
C: Besides that I actually produce the songs that are gonna be on the record.  Recording practice is not much producing.
LP: Should we talk about the album?  Do you wanna talk about the album?  We should talk about the album?
B: Sure we can talk about the album.  We recorded drums, guitar, and bass at the Boombox studios in very very ass south Jersey with our boy Donnie Switchblade, of The Rumblers, and we're doing the vocals with Casey here.
C: Yeah I'm just enginering  the vocals and adding other shit, so right now were still building some of the songs with vocals and harmonies and melodies.  But it's good that these guys are in town.  A couple of nights a week we try shit.  Just hum something, does it fit, doe it work?  Let's try it.  Some shit you like, some shit you don't.
LP: So when can we expect this album to be done?
B: Gun to my head I'd say September.  Well if all goes right.
C: I don't wanna put a date on it.
G: September or October.
LP: I won't print a month.  How about I say a Fall release.
B: Autumn.  A quarter 4 release.  We don't even have a name yet.
LP: So who are the baseball fans in the band?
Everyone: We all are.
B: It's not so much we're fans but stat heads.
LP: So whose your team?
B: (While wearing a Red Sox hat) Mets
G: You're only wearing it to get a rise outta Yankee fans
B: So It would be like you wearing a Braves hat to get a rise outta me
G: Well I wouldn't do it
B: I don't care if you do it.  It wouldn't bother me
G: I'm a Yankee fan, that's why I wouldn't do it
K: Yankees
C: Mets
LP: Anything else you guys wanna say?
G: We're playing the Trash Bar September 1st
K: Facebook.com/kidnichols
LP: Oh shut up.  You didn't just plug your Facebook page.  Wanna plug your Tumblr while you're at it (http://kidnichols.tumblr.com)?
B: What team did Kid Nichols play for Greg?
G: I think the Boston Beaneaters or something
LP: Boston Beaneaters are correct.  They were the Original Atlanta Braves (Kid Nichols picture and retired number are on display on the outfield wall at Turner Field in Atlanta)
G: Good cuz if it were the Red Sox then Kid Nichols would not be the name of the band 
B: Greg won't eat Boston Baked Beans
K: He's a Manhattan Clam Chowder guy

1 comment: