Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Issue #3 The Turnbucklers Interview

LP: So I think the first question everyone wants to ask you guys is, do you guys all know karate?
F: I’m a 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do
A: We’re 2/3rds karate trained
LP: Really!  I was kinda only kidding.  Are you guys busting my balls?
F: No, I got it probably when I was 12 or 13 and quit after that.  Andy what are you?
A: I’m only 1st degree
LP: Wait, you’re a black belt too?
A: Hell yeah!  It’s a pre-requisite
F: We’re still training Sean
LP: I’ve known Sean for awhile(Sean used to play guitar in Band of Felons), but what are your guys backgrounds?  Ever been in any other bands?
F: Not really, maybe in high school.  I used to play a lot of guitar and I just stopped.  Then I jumped into rap.  Rapping and making beats.  Me and Andy started doing shit and that shit didn’t work out.  Started hanging out wit Sean and then Andy played some psychobilly shit and I just wanted to make some fucking rock and roll music.
A: I was in some band when I was like 12 or 13 and the name was TAJ because the name of the people in the band was Trevor, Andy, and Joe.   I know its lame, but, those guys are in a band together now.  I forget what their called.  We played a lot of Jimi shit.  The guitarist was nice. 
LP: How did you guys all get together?  How did the band start?
S: I met this guy(Andy) at Guitar Center.  He just came up to me and was like   (making fun of Andy) “Cool guitar dude.”
A: So I’m leaving, ya know how the guys gotta check your shit when you leave, and I’m like, “who’s this asshole playing on a nice ass guitar with an AFI sticker.”  I walk over and it was you.  That was a nice ass guitar though.
S: So a few weeks later I was hanging out with my boy and we went to Andy’s house, He’s like(again making fun of him) “Yo, your that dude from Guitar Center.” I was and we started hanging out.
F: One of the first direct interactions I had with Sean was smoking weed on the side of dudes house and I come out and I’m like “I think I got my girlfriend(at the time) pregnant” and you were just like “UMMMMM”.  I barely knew you at the time.  I just needed to tell somebody.
LP: And then smoking weed lead to playing music?
S: Yeah.  The more we hung out, the more we jammed.  Now we’re a band together.  We drink and play video games too.
LP: So you guys are friends.  Y’all hang out.  Because sometimes bands aren’t friends and don’t hang out.  I think that shit’s weird.
S: Yeah, we hang out all the time.  We’re guaranteed hanging out at least once a week because of practice.  But we hang out more then that.
LP: I didn’t even know Sean knew how to play the drums?
F: Don’t let’em fool ya, he plays a nasty bass too.
A: Sean’s like a band Swiss Army knife.  We were all amped cuz we finally had a drummer, bassist, and guitarist.  We were just gonna go over Sean’s house and play on his shit because we could.  We got lucky he’s a pretty good drummer.
LP: He even sings behind the drums, are you looking into to getting the Britney Spears headset.
A: Nah man, Tommy Lee headset.
LP: Why don’t you guys let Andy sing?  I see him mouthing the lyrics during the songs.  It’s just mean the way you don’t give him a microphone.
A: I know right.
F: We want Andy to sing.  He just doesn’t
S: He sings on the record.  We all sing on the record.  He does the “Whoa’s” and the “Hey’s”.  We want him to sing more, we just won’t pressure him.
LP: I wanted to ask you guys about that.  You just got done recording at Killers and Saints, how did that go?
A: I think my leg is pregnant from Sam’s dog(Chuck) humping it.  Recording was cool though because Sam plays, so he gets it.  He was helpful.  Recording the music only took like a 1 ½ days.  Vocals took longer
S: We did 5 songs first and then went back and did 2 more.  It was real good.
LP: Good, What was the name you used when you first went and recorded?
S: The Bonus Brothers
LP: The Bonus brothers, that shit was gay.  The Turnbucklers is so much better.  How did The Turnbucklers come up?
S: We finished tracking and I was listening to the music by myself, and this is after all kinds of deliberation of discussing bands names, and I wanted a name that fit the music.  The recording came out like, real fast sounding and I thought it sounded kick ass.  I wanted a name that kicked ass.  I thought of wrestling and “Off the turnbuckle”.  There it was, The Turnbucklers.
LP: Yeah your name makes me think of wrestling and that’s bad ass.  Anything else? Any shout outs?
F: Yeah quote this, “Encarnacion”.  Nacho Libre is our muse.  Shout out to my son, Shane.  Sam dude, gotta thank Sam.
S: Somerville Town Drunks and Post No Bills- you guys hook us up with shows.  Thanks to my parents.  They let us jam at their house and cook us dinner.   And of course, thanks to Sam from Killers and Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment